Thursday, October 7, 2010

Time


This little guy has really changed my perspective on time. Before I even knew he existed, time seemed to be going by so fast I just felt like I couldn't catch it. Afton and Grayson are growing so fast and the summer, which was long awaited, seemed to be slipping by in the blink of an eye.

Then toward the end of July, we got great news. I was pregnant! We really wanted just one more baby in our family. If you want to slow down time, get pregnant. Time is measured in weeks and the weeks sure go by a lot slower, especially when you are sick. At about 6 weeks, the nausea really set in and it seemed like there wasn't a medication that could help. I started counting down every day until I would be out of this horrible trimester. Of course, this makes time go even slower.

Well, I made it out of my first trimester and the nausea hasn't disappear but it is so much better. However, the second trimester has brought on a whole new onslaught of problems. Last week, on my poor Afton's 6th birthday, I found out that the baby's placenta was detaching from the uterus which caused a whole lot of bleeding and cramping and a 50% chance of the baby's survival. I got put on bed rest for the weekend and that made time really slow down.

This week, I got upgraded to "limited activity" but I quickly found out how limited that really is. Thank goodness the bleeding stopped but even the most minimal activity brings on cramping. I want this baby so bad that I am willing to lay perfectly still if I have to, to get him here healthy and to his due date. Totally easier said than done.

So two days ago, I started thinking just how long it is going to take to get him here. My due date is March 31. That's about 6 months. 6 months. Suddenly, if it's possible, time seems to move even slower. Kind of like I am counting the hours of each day.

Sorry, this seems like kind of a downer post. But I have really been doing my best to stay positive. I am positively planning for our new brother's arrival. Planning his new room and where the other kids will end up. Searching the internet for baby boy blue. And dreaming up what Afton and Grayson's new rooms should look like.

It is going to be a long road but like I said, I am determined to get this baby here. I feel lucky that it has been a rainy week and i really don't want to go outside anyway.

7 comments:

Afton or Brooke said...

Also, a BIG thank you to my mom and david's mom and david for making it possible for me to do nothing.

merideth said...

we are all thinking of you guys a lot. even the kids are praying for their "aunt brooke and her new baby".
i hope things get better.

Sarah said...

thinking of your sweet little fam brooke!

megan thomas said...

I AM HERE TO HELP YOU!! Just wait one more week and I can take the kids for you while you lay perfectly still. Ick. I'm so sorry. It's so true how time slows while pregnant. Keep focused on all the cute things you can get this little guy. I'll call you next week.

Jen B said...

Brooke! I was so excited to hear the good news!! I am sorry that it has been such a hard few months fo you though. :( I will keep your family in our thoughts and prayers. I hopethe next 5 1/2 months pass quickly and you will soon be holding that sweet little boy in your arms safe and sound. It looks like we will have little ones the same age. I am due with #3 on April 3. :) Hang in there sweetie!

Farrah said...

you know this already, but I am so, so excited for you!!! And I agree, time DOES move extra slow when you are pregnant and keeping track of every week, and even the days of each week. As in, now I'm 16 weeks, 3 days pregnant. Craziness! And yet, it's hard to stop.

susan said...

Brooke - You are so amazing. I wish you lived next door so that I could help out while you lie and rest. You guys will all be in my prayers. Love you... miss you... Susan